Declared a national landmark in 1975, the Elizabeth Cady Stanton House in Tenafly, NJ was home to America’s leading force for women’s rights and suffrage. Located in the heart of Tenafly’s two historic districts, it was in this home that Elizabeth Cady Stanton, along with Susan B. Anthony and Matilda Joslyn Gage, wrote the first volume of the History of Women’s Suffrage, 1881-1885.

This two-story home is most noted for its Victorian architecture and front porch styled in a Greek revival tradition. It was in this home on Highwood Avenue that Stanton was most active in her efforts to gain voting rights for women. And it was during this historic time when Stanton and Anthony made a failed, but much talked about effort to vote in the 1880 Tenafly elections. Stanton said in her letters she enjoyed muddling the election officials and watching the town’s reaction to her brave act. Stanton, Anthony and fellow feminists formed the National Women’s Suffrage Association in 1869 and fought to gain equal rights for African Americans and women. Sadly, Stanton never lived to see out her efforts as she died in 1902, 18 years before women were granted the right to vote.

The Elizabeth Cady Stanton House is one of many historic homes in Tenafly which adds to the town’s charm and livability. Other homes include the Roelof Westervelt House, the Christie-Parsels House, The Sickels-Melbourne House along Knoll Road and the Demarest-Lyle House along West Clinton Avenue. All of these homes are privately owned not available for tours, however, those seeking to learn more about Tenafly’s history can visit the Theodore Roosevelt Monument in downtown Tenafly’s Roosevelt Common. This landmark carved of limestone honors the nation’s 26th president with carved animals and benches. Or, take a walk by the water to enjoy the natural setting of The Palisades. It was here that the Palisades Interstate Park was created to prevent open-pit mining and further quarrying of this natural area.

The Elizabeth Cady Stanton House is a national historic landmark and is placed on both the National and State Registers of Historic Places and is marked with a historic plaque.